Monday, October 13, 2014

Reflective Teaching: A 30-Day Blogging Challenge For Teachers (Day 14)

Reflective Teaching: A 30-Day Blogging Challenge For Teachers (Day 14)

Topic: What is feedback for learning, and how well do you give it to students?


To me when I see feedback I automatically start thinking about rubrics and information that comes back on all assignments, journal writes, and verbal feedback in the classroom. Lately my department has been working on creating rubrics using Google forms and the script autocrat. We have developed forms for our ease of use when grading essays. All the feedback that goes to the students have been made in a progressive manner. For example instead of saying, “Essay lacks clarity.” We are using statements like, “You need to work on your sentence fragments, sentences that are not full complete thoughts, they make it hard on the reader.” For an middle school English teacher, we have to grade a lot of essays. Even if we say, spend only 5 minutes on each essay, at 150+ students that is over 13 hours worth of grading. So anything that we can do to provide amble feedback, in a timely manner, that doesn’t take days and days of grading it helpful.
I do have to admit however; while I am great at grading most assignments quickly I avoid essays like they are going out of style. I know this about myself; it is constantly a goal of mine to get better/faster at grading essays. The feedback given is always great and robust but not always timely on essays.

I have always given positive feedback to behaviors in the classroom that I appreciate; yes even middle schoolers like to be told that they are “rock stars!” We use the PBIS system and we have slips of papers called Titan Powers to use to reward good behavior. In the past I have not been good about handing these out, this year I have made an effort to hand them out and not just the verbal, “you’re awesome!” and/or a candy or something but also to use the Titan Powers. I think overall my feedback is good, just needs to be timelier on grading of essays. Instead of two weeks turn around it would be great if I could do it in one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment