Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Reflective Teaching: A 30-Day Blogging Challenge For Teachers (Day 10)

Reflective Teaching: A 30-Day Blogging Challenge For Teachers (Day 10)


Topic:

Share five random facts about yourself.
Share four things from your bucket list.
Share three things that you hope for this year, as a “person” or an educator.
Share two things that have made you laugh or cry as an educator.
Share one thing you wish more people knew about you.
So here we go...

Share five random facts about yourself.

  1. I am terrified of chickens and squirrels. I hate their unpredictable-ness... among other things. Honestly you don't want to get me started.
  2. I have had several near death experiences mostly involving snow and skiing... makes me think I should probably stay away from the mountains all together.
  3. I had a pet bunny when I was in middle school, I named him Mo Max (short for Mohawk Maximillion III) it was my one and only rabbit so I am not sure why it was the third but I liked the way the name sounded.  I taught him to walk on a leash and would let him sun and munch in the grass on the weekends. One day while I was at a friends house my mom took Mo Max out of his penthouse of a cage and put him on a leash while she was weeding... she turned her back and the next thing she knew a hawk swooped down and carried my poor Mo Max away. When I came
    home from my friends house however, she told me an entirely different story- Mo Max chewed through his leash and hopped away to the forest behind our house. It wasn't until I was in college years later that I heard the real story.
  4. I went to Thurston High School in 1998, I was a junior when we had a school shooting and it irrevocably changed me, as well as the community forever. Thankfully I was late to school that day and was in the parking lot when everything happened so I have a very different experience than some of my peers. As a teacher though, it is constantly in the back of my mind...
  5. I am a voracious reader, if I could spend my time doing ANYTHING... it would be to escape into a book.

Share four things from your bucket list.

My bucket list is traveling the world, and showing it to my daughter. So my bucket list is trips I plan to take:
  1. United Kingdom- Britain to visit relatives, Scotland, and Ireland.
  2. Amsterdam, Austria, Germany, Czech Republic
  3. France
  4. Italy

Share three things that you hope for this year, as a “person” or an educator.

  1. I would like to write a few more pieces and get them published with Edutopia and AMLE
  2. I would like to move forward with becoming a Google Certified Teacher
  3. I hope that I can make more meaningful relationships and connections with my students this year, and increase their love of reading.

Share two things that have made you laugh or cry as an educator.

  1. I get irrationally proud with my students when I hear the great things that they are accomplishing at high school and beyond. Or when I see a former student in the community that I had a special connection with in class.
  2. I also get really proud of current students when they present or show their current knowledge, currently this happens often with my tech guru's. I am so proud of them... and yes I cry when I am proud... I cry at the olympics when people accomplish their goals... it's weird...

Share one thing you wish more people knew about you.

A student of mine Jackie Z. drew this in notability. I LOVE IT!
  1. That I have a life other than school work and my ambitions. I read a ton, which is very selfish, I watch shows, and go to concerts. I love my husband and we spend all our free time together, he is my best friend. I sleep at normal times, like go to bed around 10pm every night. Everyone thinks I never sleep and I am just work all the time, and that couldn't be further from the truth. I just really efficient with my time and can get more work done in the same amount of time as other people. And, I haven't always been like this... In high school I was way more social than I needed to be, I did just enough to get by. It is the biggest regret that I have. But I think everyone needs to come into their own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment